Self Propelled Implements of Husbandry with Floatation Tires
Iowa House File 793 – HF 793
The Iowa Legislature addressed the issue of overweight floaters this session in the Transportation Omnibus bill. The Governor has signed HF 793. New regulations become effective July 1, 2007 and apply to commercial owner/operators and farmer producers.
The key provisions of the bill are as follows:
Current regulations that apply to all floater implements –
• All implements will observe a 35 mph speed limit on roadways; (this is current law)
• Operators must continue to comply with all existing bridge embargos and posted bridges when equipment exceeds posted weight limits;
• Equipment manufacturers state that implements are to be run laden only in the field
The following new regulations apply only to implements that exceeds 20,000# per axle as “newly manufactured” defined as it comes “new from the factory“.
• Implements that “as newly manufactured” exceed 20,000#/axle may be operated on non-interstate highways in a county, provided the implement is permitted for that county; These implements cannot be legally operated over ANY BRIDGE, even if it is not embargoed.
• An annual fee of $600/per implement/per county not to exceed $3,500/per implement will be paid, with collected fees going to the secondary road fund of the designated county (see attached Permit Application or the Application is available at:
Oversize & Trip Permit Forms
Go to: Motor Carrier Services
Go to: Forms
• Each implement can be permitted in no more than 10 counties;
• No implement weighing over 25,000 pounds may operate;
• Only implements purchased or ordered prior to February 1, 2007 may be permitted;
• No new permits will be issued after July 1, 2007; however, subsequent owners of a previously permitted implement are eligible for permits annually;
• Implements subject to this law that are not permitted are thus in violation and are subject to civil penalties of $10,000 in addition to any other penalties that may apply;
• No implements traveling on the roadway may exceed 20,000 pounds unless permitted
Iowa Department of Transportation Contact:
Bruce Schuck [email protected] (515) 237-3270